Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Square ?


    Once again Chris Schwarz's blog yields information and raised a thought provoking question.  I guess this happens so often because  he is the professional and I am the basement wood butcher.

TS-2_IMG_5695

Years ago ( says Chris Schwarz)  I worked with a professional woodworker who built all his own tools, used the least-expensive machines available and turned out work that was undeniably world class.
He scoffed at buying clamps (he made his own). He invented precision tools when he needed them. And he could make inlay tools from shop garbage.
And yet this self-proclaimed cheapskate carried a Bridge City Tool Works TS-2 try square with him everywhere in the shop. It looked nothing like the ones you see on eBay, with their factory boxes and certificates of authenticity. His was almost black from daily use.
One day I worked up the courage to ask him about his try square.  Didn't he think it was at odds with his day-to-day parsimonious philosophy?
“Precision,” he said, “has to start somewhere.”


  The balance of the blog entry in here:  http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/ts-2-try-square-perfection-made-rare

 It is interesting to see that a couple of other blog authors have written about Squares just recently too.  As we know the square is an instrument used to try and adjust all rectangular corners of buildings and to assist in bringing rude matter in due form.  As we also know, cheap squares, aren't square, and that all squares resent being dropped on the shop floor.  I also learned that occasionally you need to check whether your square is still square, or if it is just close. (see Nov. 24th 2011)

  
   


   These are the squares to which I turn when I need to check my 90's and 45's. The small machinist square lives on the drill press, held there by a rare earth magnet.  The slightly larger machinist's square lives on the joiner and the other squares have good safe places to live until they are needed.  The large try square was my Grandfather's and though it is showing its age and experience, it is still dead on square.

    In the shop there are other squares, squares that I know aren't really square but they are close enough for rough cutting with the circular saw.

    When I began my wood working Odyssey I bought a cheap square from a big box store, being honest, it was as accurate as I was and it was some years before I got good enough that I could tell the difference.   However, I may become more accurate sooner if the square was more accurate, we'll never know.

   A piece of advice for a beginner, as with Mr. Schwarz, I suggest you get quality measuring tools and take care of them.  You will only have to do that once in your life.  And when you work you will not have to second guess you measurements, you will be able to concentrate on your technique.



No comments:

Post a Comment