Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pocket Holes, 'cause I like them.

    Clara's Bed Project

detail of leg attached to the side rail

side rails sitting on my KREG clamp table
    I planed the parts of the bed the other day and then had to decided how I was going to attach the legs to the side rails.  This bed is a Jr. Bed for my Grand daughter,  that is just about to climb over the railing of her crib.  Since it is a Jr. Bed it is pretty close to the floor so the strain on the legs will be minimal. I am making the bed study enough so that I can sit on the bed with her and read stories.  Keiran's bed was not my project and it is fine for him, but too flimsy for Opa to side on.

     Aside for the lesson about how digital cameras play with colour,  the bed is also a lesson on what is practical.  I want to spend the time available making a cool head board not fussing around with tenons or dowels, so I used my KREG jig and attached the short legs with glue and pocket holes.  The joint will be plenty strong for this application.  

    Actually I used the previous version of the portable jig to do this job, the tool that would have been best it looks like the new Heavy Duty jig.
Kreg KJHD Heavy Duty Pocket Hole Jig
   I haven't had an opportunity or the necessity to use this jig but I am sure that it works great, all their tools do.

   The Klamp table that was holding the pieces as the stain dried has also been a real boon in my shop.
Kreg KKS2000 Klamp Table w/ Steel Stand Combo

    When it is not being used for is designed purpose, as a great way to clamp face frames, I have a sheet of plywood to cover it and it is where I put things to dry.  My table has casters and I have often used  it to wheel pieces of wood about the shop from joiner, to saw, to planer as well.  You can see by the photo that I installed a drawer and some shelving under the table for clamps, KREG screws and other related bits and pieces.

    The next step in the bed saga is to assemble it and then cut a 3/4 plywood sheet to size to hold the mattress. None of those thin flimzy slats al a IKEA for this bed. I am making a bed that a kid can jump on, and I know she will.


No comments:

Post a Comment