Saturday, March 16, 2013

Keepsake Boxes Complete

keepsake boxes beside a wine bottle for scale. (10x10x16)


box open, showing top lining and a symbol for Peace.

  These two boxes were a commission that I just finished. A customer asked for two keepsake boxes for her twin granddaughters.  I made the boxes from 3/8 oak with an aromatic cedar floor and 3/4 one piece oak top.  After sanding everything to 400 grit I sprayed shellac, one coat, followed by vigorous sanding again to 400 grit, then three coats of wipe on varnish.

  The name, symbols and butterflies are burned onto thin panels then glued to the boxes.  I found that the oak was a bit tricky to wood burn neatly and so opted to burn panels which let me discard unsuitable results.  I was very lucky to have decided to do a couple of tests because that is when I learned how tricky the oak was to burn cleanly.

   I deliver the boxes on Monday and hope that the customer is happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment