Thursday, March 14, 2013

My Turtle



  Last February I posted a photo of a prize winning turtle from the Hamilton Wood Show.  A little over a month later this is a posting of my latest turtle.  This turtle is just a generic turtle carved from basswood and painted with craft paint from the Dollar Store.  If you have a hankering to try your hand at carving a turtle, check out turtle carving photos.  You will be surprised how much you can do with a hunk of basswood, or clear pine and a utility knife.  Carving does not have to cost a fortune, break the bank or threaten the marriage.  

  I have played away with carving (whittling) for a few months now and really am enjoying it.  I find that the quiet of the work is relaxing as well as developing new techniques to be satisfying. 

   When it comes to building things in my shop there is a strong undercurrent of "what is this useful for?" and "who wants this or where am I going to put it?".  Carving little things like boats and turtles keeps my hands active while providing  lots of quiet pleasure.  I guess it is somewhat like making jigsaw puzzles, a pleasant pastime for some, a useless waste of time for others.  

   If you are going to take up carving I suggest that you get a small tarp or drop cloth to put down where you work.  It just makes clean up easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment