Tuesday, March 26, 2013

You Might Be A Woodworker...if .. part 2

   You might be a wood worker if you just like stuff made from wood instead of other materials.  Sometimes I make things from wood because I really want to replace  a plastic something. Other times I make stuff from wood because I just love the look, and feel of wood.

  Do you recognize this small cloth pouch?

   You might be a diabetic if you recognized this small black pouch.  It is the one that comes with you Contour blood glucose meter.  I am diabetic and so handle this little pouch at least twice a day.   I am not happy to be diabetic and really hate having to stick my fingers and draw my blood.  On the other hand, sick, blind and crippled is not a better option.

  Each morning I begin my day by opening the top drawer in my bathroom  vanity and taking this pouch out, and testing my blood.  Each morning my stiff old fingers fumble with the Zipper and more than once the whole thing has ended down on the floor.

  So today....as a wood worker guy.....I did this.


  Now this nice little wooden holder will sit in the top drawer instead of the pouch.  This holder will remind me, that I have a great workshop in the basement waiting for me to come and play, it will also remind me that if I mind my diet, get my exercise and take my medication I should have years and years to play in my work shop.

   I will also be reminded that I am lucky that my trouble is diabetes, there are many many things that are worse.

  It was a silly little project but kind of fun.  I used my forstner   bits to drill the holes.  The wood is a piece of scrap spruce stud  and the finish is orange shellac.  I had a quiet morning and didn't want to take on a big project, but still wanted to play in the shop so this is what I did.

   Some blogs ask people to answer polls.  I won't ask but I do wonder how many wood workers just like to play in their shop and so do little projects like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment