Monday, July 8, 2013

Wooden walking stick

   For about fifteen years my parents lived at the cottage  for the summer and over the course of those years my Father carved lots of turtles and feathers and he also made walking sticks.

  When he gave me this stick I doubt if he imaged me needing it to help my mobility  I suspect he figured it would be used for rambling though the bush, turning over rocks and helping we walk across wet and slippery stones in creeks. That is what walking sticks are for, you can walk faster over broken country with the help of a stick than you can unaided.



   Since my Father is not around any longer I can't ask him what sort of tree the burl came from, but it makes a very nice grip.

   My Father chose the wood, wild cherry and the burl but my Mom painted the humming bird.  I am lucky to have such a supportive stick, from a supportive family.

   The latest back news: I was out and about for a bit the last couple of days, so, yesterday I spent the entire day on my back, and missed am important birthday party.

   One of the things that I was doing on Friday when I was getting around a bit, was dead heading our roses. (45 feet of rose bushes, in flower amazing.)


   Can't forget the front of the house.

      If you are going to do a job like that get pruners like these Fiskers.  You don't need full blown pruning shears, and a multi-tool like those Fiskers might keep you from cutting plastic and cord and crap with your good pruning shears.(maybe)

   I am on my feet a bit today. I'll be trying to do some work in the shop.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment