Monday, July 29, 2013

Project of Necessity

     In the Harry Potter books there is a room at Hogwarts School called the Room of Necessity that you can only find when you really need it.  Leave it to the Magic world to create the ultimate port-a-potty.  Anyway, I am a muggle and so have to make my own things the old fashioned way.

  

   This is the glue up of the project before I got serious with the band saw and sanders.  I made the bulk of the project from Red Elm, heavy and strong with a challenging course grain.  The top of the project is pine, soft and easy to work.


    There is the finished project, why a project of necessity?  Since my back has decided to go out of its way to make my life difficult I am always accompanied by a cane/stick. I use the stick to help me down and up from chairs and to take some strain off my right leg when I am walking or standing.  Happily I do not need the stick all the time, depending on how much discomfort I am willing to tolerate. As the day go one I get less tolerant. The stick  has become like reading glasses, I don't need all the time, but I always need it close at hand.

  

    You can see that there is a lanyard on the stick.  This is my motorcycling stick.  I can sling it over my shoulder while I am riding and so have it to use while I am off the bike.  I have been able to get out for a couple of short bike rides recently and plan to keep going whenever I can, hence the need for a motorcycling stick.

   Why necessity?  It was easier to make a stick then find a place to buy one, and riding the Honda is a necessity.  



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    FadoExpress là một trong những top công ty chuyển phát nhanh quốc tế hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi đài loan và dịch vụ gửi hàng đi canada uy tín, giá rẻ

    ReplyDelete