Friday, November 20, 2015

Project Painting Pallet - an up cycling idea

7 1/2 by 9 1/2 by 3/4

  Painting small projects and carvings with acrylic or craft paint used to mean puddles and bottles and messes.  I got the brain wave to use some of the millions of creamer containers that are floating around to hold my paint. 

 Nearly every social occasion generates hundred of small plastic containers now days, all destined for recycling, or landfill. I collect the containers and use them for glue, small parts and now paint. I do it because I hate to see millions of tonnes of garbage created needlessly, and because I am thrifty. When the pallet is sitting on the bench the containers are slightly proud of the top but I choose to drill holes so that when I picked up the pallet there was no chance the containers could fall through.

 I could call this 'the 3/4 project' since the scrap of wood is 3/4 ply and the holes were bored with a 3/4 Forstner bit. The corners were knocked off with my belt sander and I did a bit of end sanding with loose paper and shazam, the project was ready for finishing.

 Finally I put two thick coats of shellac on the face of the pallet and have waxed it well so that paint mixed on the pallet will be easier to wash off at the end of the session.

 Now it is time to paint some Christmas ornaments.

cheers, ianw




No comments:

Post a Comment