On the wall above my sliding mitre saw is a shelf unit that I built four or five years ago. The unit began life as a prototype for my Grandson's room. Lucky it was a prototype made from mixed materials because once done it turned out to be the wrong size and shape after all. Being ever thrifty I brought it home and nailed it to wall in my shop after adding a couple more shelves. The whole thing is a saw dust covered mess most of the time, and not very well organized at the best of time.
After I cleaned off the shelve unit and made a plan I built a small set of shelves using 1/2 inch and 1/8 Baltic birch plywood. The plywood is off cuts from the Great Cajon kit build, I never throw away a piece of wood that maybe useful one day. (that is part of the reason my shop is a bit untidy).
I cut the dados with my 10 inch Bosch sliding mitre saw. The saw blade was not 1/8 thick so I had to cut tiny rabbets on the edge of each shelf board.
To cut the rabbets I used my 1/2 shoulder plane. I held a piece of 1/2 plywood slightly back from the edge of the 1/8 plywood as a fence when planning the thinner wood. It only took a couple of passes of the plane to thin the board to make it fit.
The final result after glueing and nailing was a purpose built self.
Once I sorted, consolidated and tossed some stuff from the big shelf unit I put the new small shelves in place. The drills stand up, the bit and pieces have proper homes and it will be easier to vacuum in the future.
I have a couple of other sets of shelves that could use this attention too.