Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Two Projects and a Helpful VIdeo

Having got back to the shop, aside from a couple duct tape type repairs, and show shovelling, I made a extra large oak cutting board.


  This cutting board is 18 by 18 by 1 inch thick.  It is a custom order and it required an extra step in its production. My planer is only 12 inches wide and so I had to make the board in two parts then glue it together and hand plane the seam in the middle.  I was careful and used lots clamps and so the seam was pretty close and required limited planing, for which I was grateful. 

  The other project was one that I talked about last blog.


  Here are my two bench top saw horses.  I chose to re-enforce the I-beam structure by putting another board in the middle to support the cross pieces. There is a very good chance that the additional boards are just over-engineering, but since the entire project was made from left overs I don't see any harm in it.  The I-beam shape allows for easy clamping of the pieces to the work table, or the materials to the saw horse. The saw horses are reddish-orange and so will be easy to find when I need to use them, all my jigs are painted stand out colours. 

   The video I wanted to share is by Ira Glass, he talks about the creative process and says some very important things in a two minute video.  A commonly held idea is that mastery requires 10,000 hours of practice, 10,000 hours is 1250 eight hour days, or approximately 5 years of full time work. 

  If you are a crafts person as your hobby I think it is smart to recognise that it will take you a long time to achieve a level of mastery that will produce work of which you are proud. It is also encouraging to realize that quality work will come, if you just keep at it.

 cheers, ianw




No comments:

Post a Comment