Friday, January 17, 2014

Shooting, Board that is.

  For the most part I work with power tools but occasionally I turn to a hand tools. Usually I use hand tools when there are small parts upon which to be worked.  Many of my kids toys and small boxes are made from pieces too small for me to comfortably hold for cutting on my sliding mitre saw, or to joint or plane with my machines.  Over the course of the last few years I have acquired some fine quality planes and hand saws that make these small jobs safe and enjoyable.

   Recently I bought the shooting sander from Lee Valley and yesterday I got around to making the shooting board to go with the sander.
 
sanding shooting box, orange because I am out of red spray paint.


  Usually the jigs I make for my shop are painted red but orange will achieve the same purpose.  I made the jig from a 1/2 plywood base and a 1/2 platform with trim used for the rail and cross piece. Initially I was a bit sceptical about the effectiveness of the sander and so did not dedicate quality materials to this jig.


  After I assembled the jig and put Minwax Paste Wax on the contact surface I put it to work.  


   Initially I found that if I trimmed the edge with my block plane I could then sand the edge very smooth and square on narrow boards. Smooth usually is also unintentionally rounded, using the shooting board, plane and sander will make it easier to keep the edges straight and square. 

    As with so many tools a shooting sander, and for that matter a shooting plane can be made in your shop but sometimes I am not interested in making tools, just using them.

   Eventually I will remake the shooting board from Baltic birch plywood but for now I am pleased with the result and with what the tool will do.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment