Monday, December 3, 2012

Rules for Workbenches

   I search all over the internet for information on topics that attract my attention. Several times in the past I have written about work benches, recently Chris Schwarz wrote an extended article on the characteristics of a really good work bench.  It would be nice to think that I am smarter and more articulate than Mr. Schwarz, but that would be delusional fantasy, so here is the link to a very good article on what your bench should do for you.



 featuredImage

   I have built four work benches in my life and assumed ownership of two others.  Those experiences have shown me the things that I would like to see in a bench, when I build another one, someday.  The bench is a tool with which you work in your shop and so like any tool must be attuned to your needs; a carvers bench is going to be different than a furniture makers bench and a shop like mine when I do a bit of everything means the bench is a compromise.  Just remember that a compromise means that you have given up one thing to have another thing work, sort of.

  I have a bench against the wall and a large heavy wheeled work station (3x3) with shelves underneath.  Both benches get serious work, to add to that I have a KREG Klamp Table.

Kreg KKS2000 Klamp Table w/ Steel Stand Combo
   The Klamp table is a very useful assembly surface for all types of small project.  I also have a WorkMate, which has seen years of heavy on site work. 

Black & Decker, Workmate® Project Center WM225

   I may have been one of the best investments based on hours used and miles traveled. 

   Regardless of the bench on which you work care, time and effort are still the most important ingredients in success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment