Friday, December 14, 2012

Honest Mistake, hard lesson learned


   Derek at Oldwolf Workshop is another of my hand woodworking heroes.  I have followed Derek's blog from the start and watched as he developed as a wood worker, carver and blogger.  

  Derek's current blog is one of those honest admissions that we who work alone in our shops don't often make.  As you can see from some of the comments, we just sand down, throw away, or burn our little mistakes and no one is the wiser. I admire his effort to remain philosophic when there was so much time and effort spent to learn the lesson. I guess it is not just measure twice, cut once, it is also spell check and edit, then edit again because you can't trust the spell check.

   When Derek talks about router guys and pantographs he is talking about using lettering bits.  With good templates and quality router bits you should be able to make pretty good signs, not an individual as hand carved but good none the less.

   I only ever made one sign in my shop and that was years ago and the store is long gone, I wonder what happened to the sign?
12 Days Of Christmas
thetoolstore.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment