Saturday, December 22, 2012

Why You Need A Scroll Saw


     George Vondriska's video posted by the WoodWorkers Guild of America touches on many good reasons to have a scroll saw.  I have a couple of observations of my own to add to his.  Ten years ago I was finally diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea , went for the test, got the CPAP machine and suddenly discovered that I had a life after supper.  Also ten years ago our house didn't really lend itself to a proper workshop, its limited space, limited electricity, poor light and low ceiling did not thwart my desire to make saw dust and so the first serious tool I bought on my way to wood dust addiction was a scroll saw.

  The old floor model Delta scroll saw cheap, and ultimately missing pieces but I have used it by the hour. I has cut out dozens of wooden puzzles,



 and many many Christmas ornaments, not to mention countless little jobs that would have been painful, or dangerous on other saws.


Excalibur EX21K 21'' Scroll Saw Tilting Head

   It is shortly to be consigned to the curb and be replaced with something nice like the saw in the video.  I strongly support having variable speed, my saw has two speeds, not really fast enough and too fast.  Also, in ten years the blade changing technology has come a long way.  Look for a saw for which blade changing in easy, pierced cuts are the bread and butter of the scroll saw.

   If you want to give it a try and the cost of the video saw stalls  you, check out the King Scroll saw.  It is variable speed, it will not be as smooth or a quiet as the Excalibur but it may well be a good place to start.  There has been tonnes of good work done with basic tools.  In my experience King tools are basic, a little rough but adequate as an occasional use tool, and I have always had good results when looking for parts or warranty support



King, 16in Variable Speed Scroll Saw

My feeling has always been, give it a go, but spend your hard earned dollars wisely.  When you find that you are going to use a particular tool regularly, buy the best you can afford, if you are going to use a tool occasionally  buy a basic one that works,(and live with its short comings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment