Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Another Reason I Love Wood

This was the view from my bedroom window last Saturday morning.  Eva and I were in Emsdale staying with friends on Bay Lake.  It had snowed a bit the day before and the clean white snow rested heavily on the tree branches.  It was very nice, the view across the lake is to a ridge covered with evergreen trees and the vista reaches to the horizon.  If you could see further you would see the vista reach pretty much to North Bay.  The principle feature of the view is trees, or wood, it is not often that the raw material, in its rawest form is appealing in the way that wood is.  Most building materials are not visually appealing in their raw state.


   The other wood thing that caught my eye on the weekend was this clock.  This clock is from Belfast, the works are English and the case work Irish, and was made sometime between 1780 and 1830.  As you can see it is not as fancy as some large case clocks but the works still run and the case work is still subtle and tasteful.



  There are things are subtle and timeless and then there are small flights of fancy.
  This is a small Christmas tree I made last year for Kieran, a tree, presents and a old fashioned rag rug on the floor.  I didn't really expect to see it again this year, it warms my heart to think that some of my wooden silliness hangs around.

   Speaking of Christmas trees that have hung around for a long time.
The Original Charlie Brown Christmas Tree

Another Christmas Classic




No comments:

Post a Comment