Saturday, May 14, 2011

Wood Working Tool Chests - Gerstner

   As I was surfing the net a while ago a came across this web site.

   I immediately had drawer envy.  Their tool chests are a wonder to behold.  The site was also impressive, easy to use and well laid out.  I suggest that you make the time to watch their video on making the tool chests. It shows quality work and careful construction.  Things that are very nice to see.


    Another thing that the video showed was how it is that they can make such fine tools.  Have you ever contemplated making a multi drawer tool box?  I have, several times.  Each time the huge number of steps and stages of construction have put me off. I look at the time and effort needed and usually end up buying a box or bag to serve the purpose. Until I watched the video I felt a little bit guilty for not making my own tool chest.  I don't feel guilty now.  Gerstner has shown that they can do this because this is what they do and their shop is dedicated to doing this alone. Just look at that .wonderful rotating clamping rack. To do the glue up for all those little pieces in my shop would tie up every clamp I own for a week.

    All the drawers are fitted with dadoes, all the same size and all made on a single machine dedicated to that use.  I would have multiple set ups on my router table. The video goes on and on to show all the people and tasks involved in making their quality tool chests.  

    One day I will tie my shop space up making a very nice tool chest for my good tools, but not for the foreseeable future. Too many other things to make.  On the list currently is a small wheel barrow so my grandson can help with the gardening. A fine tool box would be satisfying to make and should go on my workshop list, a bright red wheels barrow for the boy will be more satisfying.  I'll keep you posted on the progress.


Disclaimer:   Neither theToolstore.ca or I have any affiliation with Gerstner USA, we did not ask for, or received any compensation from Gerstner USA or any related companies.  I just really like their site and their video and thought you would too.

No comments:

Post a Comment