Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ron Hock - http://www.hocktools.com/default.html

  
Hock Shoulder Plane
   If you have been playing with wood for any length of time you probably have struggled with the sand paper vs. planes/scrappers debate.  I certainly have.  In my shop are about a dozen planes, everything from tiny model makers planes to big old wooden joiner planes.  All of the planes have been used at one time or another.

  You will also find belt sanders, orbital sanders and finish sanders, all have been used at one time or another, usually more often than the planes.  I confess to being able to manage sand paper better then planes.  T
   The sharpening is always the hurtle that blocks my serious commitment to hand planes.  The time it takes and the skill required to keep the plane blades sharp means that I often turn to sand paper 'cause it  is fast and easy.  Also I am confident of the results.  I have had times when one heavy pass going the against the grain, especially on elm has done more harm than good.

   I do agree that the finish from planing and scrapping can be superior to the finish from sanding.  Finishing is an area of wood working that I will have to continue to develop over the coming seasons, right now....sand paper is good enough for my purposes. 

   If you are looking to get involved in hand planes I suggest you look at Ron Hock's web site.  He has plane kits, blades and a well reviewed book on sharpening all in one place.

   On my work shop list I should also have included my desire to make a good hand plane.  I have even bought the blade, so  like the box joint jig, it will happen.  I'll keep  you posted. 


   As a foot note, this is being posted from my hotel room in Spain.



No comments:

Post a Comment