Monday, May 30, 2011

Practical Wood work, again

  
   On the left the result, on the right the project.  Yesterday I was trying to make some space in our garage. The summer season is fully upon us and so the car lives in the driveway and the garage is filled with : bicycles, motorcycles, lawn and garden tools, .as well as a wagon for the grandson and all that sorted flotsam and jetsam that seems to fill every one's garage.
    If you look carefully in some of the photos you can see that I have gone passed the thinning hair stage, to the no hair on the top of my head stage.  I can only hope that that is the limit of the deterioration.  So, to defend the sensitive and shiny dome I wear hats.  A baseball hat doesn't defend my ears very well so years ago I opted for a hat with a wide brim. The hat on the left is my souvenir from Spain, a very nice light and dressy fedora. The middle hat is a souvenir from Cozumel Island and a very good hat that is getting a little stained and nasty.
  The photo on the right is the 20 minute hat rack(naked).  I went to my scrap bin, in which I had 28 large dominoes that I didn't like. (another story for another time) used 5  and a 50 inch scrap of 3/4 plywood and made the rack.  Since I am getting to be more fussy about my projects; even the ones hidden by hats, the arms are shaped on the band saw and shallow dadoes were cut in the plywood for them. While completing the shaping of the arms I used files and rasps, no sand paper. (that is another story)
    The dadoes were not necessary, the old glue and screw method what have worked fine but....even something as basic and unglamourous as a hat rack gets just a little extra technique now days.  When did you begin to raise your personal expectations and start doing the little extra bits of l joinery?


                                                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment