Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Small Step Stools






 
    This little step stool plan is on thetoolstore.ca site along with a variety of smaller projects.  This stool is a version of a Shaker Design and a popular plan out in cyberspace.  You don't have to look very far to find this step stool make with dovetail joints, it of course could also be made with biscuits.  To make it fast and strong pocket holes with the Kreg jig is what is recommended in this plan.

   Another popular design for a step stool is the one that KREG used to display in their sales booth at the wood shows.

This is the version that evolved over the course of the many copies of the foot stool I made while I worked for KREG TOOLS a few years ago.  I added the hand hole to their design.  In the version I featured the contrasting wood, but it is just as easy to make the project and hide all the pocket holes and skip the wood plugs totally.

     This last foot stool has been around for a very long time,  since I was in Grade Seven in Rolling Meadows Public School in Burlington Ontario.


   This was the required project in Gr. 7 wood shop, Gr.8 was turning a bowl on the lathe, (my Mom still has the bowls my brother and I made all those years ago).

   That little foot stool has followed me everywhere that I have had a desk for its entire life and I suspect it will follow me for my entire life.  This little foot stool is on its third covering, the first upholstery was RED, now it is brown corduroy. 
Underneath I can just see where I signed the work with a most dramatic flair and printed class 77 beside it.

   Wood lasts, a good design well executed can last a very long time.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment