Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Quarto in a Box

On August 16th  I wrote about making my own Quarto game pieces and today I finished the portable game.


  The pieces are 3/4 square or 3/4 by 1 1/2 inches. The sixteen game pieces fit into the box, with room to spare. I cut the mitred corners on my sliding mitre saw, but this is straight forward enough to cut the corners with a mitre box.






 The entire package is 5 by 5 by 1, a very portable little game.

 Things I learned while making this project.

1. stock dowel doesn't have much visual appeal so I will turn the round pieces from some type of interesting wood like I did with the large set.

2. the thin door skin is chippy. Next time I will use quality plywood for the playing surface.  I may even use a thin slice of solid wood for next time.

3. wood burning the markings onto the game board is the best permanent marking system. 

  There will be a next time, sometime. I like the concept and really like the game. Next time I will make the project from dedicated materials rather than left overs.

cheers,
ianw

No comments:

Post a Comment