Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Cutting Wood for Turning

 On May 12th I showed my new bow (swede) saw that I plan to use to cut my collection of sticks into pieces for turning.  On the weekend I helped my brother cut a tree down at my Mum's place and now there is more wood that is too good to waste, but not big enough to cut into lumber. The bow saw got a pretty good work out, but the reciprocating saw did the bulk of the work.

  A search of the internet brought forth discussion on how and why to seal the ends of green wood that you cut up in hopes of turning one day.  This blog entry shows exactly why the wood needs to be sealed, as a foot note, the spindle has continued to split, I knew that it would, I just didn't image how much.

The full split experience.
 It seemed to have stopped at this point.
The spindle is firewood, actually.

  This evening I was out buying sump pump hose and clamps.  While wandering the isles of the Big Store I discovered their cache of Oops paint.  The colours are almost always terrible and this evening was no exception but the price is the good news.  I bought a small container of exterior grade primer for $1.00.  The paint has been tinted a colour that is horrible in its depressing grey bleakness.  I can not believe anyone actually wanted paint that colour, it had to have been a mistake, a failed colour experiment no doubt.  To add to the grimness of the situation the paint is really thick and miserable to work with, expect, I don't care.  This paint doesn't have to flow nicely, or look decent, it needs to be thick and seal the ends of a bunch of little pieces of wood that I plan to let dry until winter, at least.   For my purposes the price and product are right.


  These pieces are going to go into a box and stay there until our dry season shows me what they plan to do.  I still have a pretty good pile of big stuff beside the house that still needs the treatment.  One day, soon.

 While I am talking about putting wood away for a "rainy day" I also bought two turning blanks of Dogwood



 Thirty years ago I bought a turning blank that I shaped by hand for the handle on my bench vise.  Dogwood is wonderful for that sort of application, if you keep you eye out, it is cheap, strong, straight with a fine, fine grain.  As a tool handle I think that it beats cherry, maple and any other domestic hard woods.  I don't have a plan for the blanks, yet but when the time comes they will be waiting. When I work with Dogwood I always think of Pear, pear's characteristics  are more famous but for early Canadians I think Dogwood was more readily available.

   There are several ongoing small projects in the shop but really the major effort has been to get the gardens looking good so we can sit out and enjoy our yard.  Once the work is done, (is the work ever done?) we can relax and enjoy.

cheers, ianw
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment