Saturday, February 8, 2014

Sliding Lid Box

  Usually I make a prototype of an project that I plan to refine for sale later.  I this case I borrowed an idea from Woodworkingformeremortals.com , thanks Steve.  I think he got the idea from somewhere too.  There is not much new in woodworking projects, boxes have been around for a long time.  

   In this case I figured to make a pencil box. If it turned out perfect I could put it in the shop to sell, if not, I have lots of pencils that could use a new home.

Wooden box isolated on white background. - stock photo


  I was working to the same idea as in the photo but was looking to make something a little more individual. When I was a kid I had a pencil box similar to the one in the photo.
  
love my clamps, Bessey clamps too.


  As you expect I didn't do it exactly the same way as the video, does anyone follow the instruction 100%?

  My old scroll saw ( a new General would be nice) is worn out so I decided to drill out the majority for the box and then clean out the left over material with a chisel.  Sawing the waste material out would certainly be much quicker and more efficient. Next box I will try cutting the inside out with my jig saw.  I made the inner part of the box from soft wood so I glued hardwood sides onto the box. You see it clamped up and drying.

Add caption

The 14 degree dovetail bit made the angle for the sliding lid, using one bit for both cuts means that the fit is exact.  I did find that I had to use a plane to thin the top down just a bit to get it to slide nicely. I felt more confident in taking a whisker of wood off with a plane than resetting the router table and trying again.

  The final result is pretty good.  I would not try and round the ends again, too difficult to get perfect symmetry.  You can also see a couple of glue spots on the side where I didn't clean it up well enough before staining.  That was just because I knew this item wasn't leaving the basement shop any time soon.

   As a prototype I am fairly pleased, it clearly has issues but they are cosmetic so easily fixed next time. .  The advantage of making a test run is that ideas can be tried out and abandoned or modified for future production.  I like using the soft wood for the inside, it is easy to work and easy to sand smooth.  If need be I could prepare a few blanks and cut them out on the scroll saws at the Seniors Centre.  I like the finish and the oak makes a sturdy though thin lid.

   I'll keep you posted when I make another box.


No comments:

Post a Comment