Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Full On Cabinet Repair


  Last entry was the door to this cabinet.  Now I have the rest of the cabinet home to work on. The drawers are bullet proof, thick heavy wood dovetailed together. The body of the cabinet is a frame filled with raised panels. Sadly the panels are glued and pinned solid, hence, cracked.  If there was ever an endorsement for floating panels, this is it.


This cabinet from 10,000 Villages has not been able to adjust to the huge difference in humidity between it's place of origin, Malaysia and place of sale, Ontario.



cracks on left side, both panels.

the other side only has one panel that is cracked.
 As you can see the cracks go right through and the panel has pulled apart by several millimetres. Like the door these are not just 'cracks', but monster cracks/holes.


 I need to work on the top of the piece too. I just haven't decided what I am going to do.  I know that I can not hope to hide the crack, but I can't really think of how to make a virtue out of this reality.  

 The design of the piece is nice and the wood has great character, it just didn't make the trip without real suffering.



c1_1404_PWM_Cover.indd


    As the Mr. Huey said, it is a bit self serving, but the points he makes are good.



*Freud 7-Piece Forstner Bit Set FB-107





  

No comments:

Post a Comment