Friday, February 28, 2014

Bench Top Clamping

  Tom at Tom's Workbench recently wrote a blog featuring the KREG KKS1110 Bench Clamp.

Kreg, KKS1110 Automaxx 3 inch Bench Klamp System 24408

  Tom's post was entitled "Hold it Down" and in that post Tom showed another interesting twist on bench clamping. 

Clamped and ready to go


  He said that he got this idea because he didn't want to cut into the top of his lovely bench. As you can see I do not have a lovely bench, nor do I have any qualms about cutting it's top. 



   My bench's top is 1 1/2 thick plywood and occasionally I sand and fill the rough bits and paint it. Actually it is in pretty good shape currently. I have an less damaged bench for finer wood work but this is the Clydesdale of my wood shop, it does all the heavy lifting.  These are a selection of the various bench top appliances that I have acquired over the years.

Lee Valley Wonder Pup
Lee Valley Bench Blade

hold down made by Daniel Linkenheld 




  Turns out I have an extra plate for my KREG KKS1110, so I think I may follow Tom's example and make a movable clamping point as well.  I would screw it to the bench top if it served my purpose, I can hear the groans of  the bench lovers as I type.  It is not a bad idea to have an extra insert plate or two for custom clamping. 
*Kreg, KBK-IP Insert Klamp Plate 13643
KBK-IP



  I don't abuse my tools, or bench, I just make them work hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment