Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Circular Saw Safety

  I was working in my garage today making some rough shelving and cutting apart an old cabinet that was made from reclaimed packing cases.

  One of the tools for the day's work was my circular saw. As I was working with the saw it occurred to me that I hadn't taken any time to do my Elmer the Safety Elephant thing.   The circular saw is a versatile and powerful tool that can do great things or cause serious grief.


Milwaukee 6390-20 7-1/4 inch Circular Saw w/ Tilt-Lok Handle

    The video I picked up has a two fold advantage.  One the gentleman is explaining the basics of circular  saw safety, and two it is a Habitat for Humanity video and it doesn't hurt to be reminded of their good work.

    If you look at thetoolstore.ca  you will see a broad selection of circular saws with various sized blades and of various costs.  I have found that a 7 1/4 is enough for my use, it is somewhat lighter than the 8 1/2 saw and blades are available everywhere. I also have not graduated to the worm drive saw like the Skil SHD77 Saw Circular 15 Amp 7-1/4-inch though I used to sell many of them to hard working contractors.  My suggestion is to pick a saw that is comfortable in your hand and reflects the amount of work you are going to ask of it.  My saw spends months in a drawer collecting dust so I have a lower cost tool, but don't go cheap on the blade.  An average saw with a good blade will do better work than a good saw with a poor blade.




No comments:

Post a Comment