Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Small Change with Large Consequences


   When I equipped my first shop I bought a bench grinder.  I bought it mostly because that is what I had seen in other shops. Those shops needed grinders because using a little welding kit nuts were brazed onto the stock and low cost bolts of any length were made as needed.  

   I found that I seldom needed the grinder because I seldom make my own bolts, there are well equipped hardware stores within easy travelling distance and so I can buy exactly the bolt I needed.  The grinder has hung around for years, and mostly been ignored or avoided, it was on a bottom shelf and a pain in the butt to drag out and use.

   Recently I was tuning up some garden tools, weed digging tools and hoes etc.  Awkward stuff is sharpened with a big ol' bastard file but smaller can be ground.  This year, after at least ten years of fussing I finally made the small change to the grinder which has made for a large change in my attitude.  I am sharing this because on the internet I can't hear you saying "duh", though I know that is what you are thinking.  I am also sharing this because it may inspire you to take the 20 minutes and a fix that little thing that has needed doing for years but you think isn't worth the trouble.

   So what did I do?


    I finally bolted the grinder to a board with a couple of pins to wrap the cord around.  It now means that I can reach onto the bottom shelf, grab the grinder sit it nearly any place and use it.  Before it was bolted to a platform it took up space on the bench when in use and it was awkward to get out and to put away, so I ignored it instead of using it.  

   Such a simple little thing, but one that brings the right tool to the job more efficiently and so, more frequently.  The right tool makes the job easier and more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment