Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Quality Lasts

   I just spent the weekend at the Welbeck Wood Expo talking with folks about router tables and quality.


   Let me make my beliefs clear:

   I believe that you can have good things.

You can have things, quickly and you can have things cheaply. 

 I do not believe that you can have good things either cheaply or quickly.

   If you are an informed customer and spent your time wisely you can get adequate things at a reduced price, not for cheap.  Going to trade shows and prowling around clearance isles has enabled me to buy some adequate tools and other things at discount prices. I have occasionally had to compromise when making these purchases, sometimes I don't get the manual or all the accessories but I make due given the reduced price I am paying.  

   In my experience if the thing is too cheap or marked way down, you are getting what you paid for.  Buyer beware.

  The other thing that inspired this small rant is sitting on my desk today.

   In 1967 I was a Cub Scout and our pack (12th Burlington) went camping during the summer break, (I never liked camping) during which time we worked on badges and stars and made crafts.  That little money-moccasin was one of our projects that summer. As you can see I was born all thumbs and nothing has changed.

   That little change purse has followed me through life for many, many years (you do the maths). Currently I am using it as a guitar pick case, it hasn't been beaten to death, but it has been soaked through, many times (leaky book bag) and battered around, (life in teenage hands).  It has travelled in the glove box of all my cars, for several years it faithfully held my subway tokens and for the last few years it has carried parking meter money under the seat of my motorcycle. It has been in bags and pockets and suit cases and travelled to Europe at least once.  The kit was a quality kit and the materials were quality, no doubt the instruction was also very good.  

   So... despite my clumsy efforts in construction, this little purse still looks damn good and will last me the rest of my life.  If it had been cheap, with cheap lacing or crappy leather made from split chicken skin it would not look as good or maybe not even exist any longer.

  Buy quality, pay what quality is worth and enjoy the results of that choice for years and years.



No comments:

Post a Comment