Saturday, August 4, 2012

KREG KTC5750

    I have been a big fan of pocket-hole joinery since I learned about it fifteen years ago.  I had the good fortune to work for the KREG company for nearly five years some years ago, and over that time I used all their products with great satisfaction.  When thetoolstore.ca  showed this all inclusive pocket hole jig kit I was blown away by what was included for the money.

   The following are some photos of pocket hole projects that I have done over the last few years, from simple to complex, some obvious and some unexpected.  Pocket holes made all the work easier and quicker.  There are woodworkers that "only use mortise and tenon", or "dowels" or what ever.  I don't think it is wise to exclude any technique from your bag of tricks.  


    I made two side tables like this and two cabinet doors and a panel, my wife painted them in these "Mexican" colours as part of the décor in our television room.
    Legs on this table are true 2x4s and are attached to the top with 2 1/2 inch pocket hole screws.  I bought four rough slabs like this 10 years ago and still have two left.


  The standard flower box, I made a bunch of these.  The pocket holes keeps the fasteners out of the rain and eliminates rust issues. 
    This is an ottoman/storage unit that I made for our living room, the design is to complement our Mission style furniture. 
 
    A few years ago I made this sofa/hall table using pocket holes.  The top is held on with pocket holes screws, driven in tight, then loosen half a turn to allow for wood movement.
  The last example is the classic KREG foot stool, showing the pocket holes filled with contrasting wood.  I have made dozens of these over the last ten years.


   If you read last entry, I am half way through a dovetail box.  As much as I like pocket holes, it is wise to work on dovetails to hone those skills too. The grand kids are here for the long weekend and the grand boy is sleeping in the family room next to my shop so wood work is on hold.  When he is awake I am busy with other things and when he naps, I can't work in the shop for fear of messing up his nap time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment