Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Dovetail Box

  Okay, so the research on Monday got me thinking about dovetails
  
  I decided I needed a box to store the junk that accumulates on my desk, you know the stuff I am talking about, reading glasses, coffee cups, pens etc. In a moments insanity I decided to make a 15 minute job into a production,so I decided to make it a dovetail box.


  The box is going to be 3x4x8 and I gathered up some 3/4 inch pine and set to work. In the top photo you can see half of the box's joints.


  Up close my efforts certainly are not air tight, not even water tight, but good enough for a pencil box.


   The product looks rough  at this point,  once complete, sanded and stained it will look pretty good.  I'll show you when it is done.


   Aside from being slow in the hands of a man with extra thumbs it is a pleasant way to work, it is quiet and practises  a set of skills that are often neglected.  I think the next box will be 1/2 inch stock, 3/4 stock looks pretty clunky.  






  

No comments:

Post a Comment