Friday, April 20, 2012

Tool Box Saw

cut down hand saw, about 19inches in length.
   A couple of months ago I was into the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store and spent a few bucks on paint for base coats and some miscellaneous hardware, and this $3.00 saw.  When it got home the saw went onto a shelf and was promptly forgotten in the hustle and bustle of everyday life.


   I like to drop into the Re-Store when I am in the neighbourhood or when we are working on a project that needs good materials that don't really have to match. The light fixtures in my work shop are a classic example of something from the Re-Store as well as the beige paint that I   splashed around the garage when we bought this house. I think the Re-Store is a good organization and I have always got what I paid for from them.


   Anyway, I saw this funny little saw while I was shopping and for $3.00 I figured even if it was useless one of my crafty friends could paint a picture on it and I could hang it on the work shop wall.  The other day I was cleaning up in the shop and found the saw where it had been stashed. It is not useless, and will not have a picture of chickens or cows painted on it, it is a very good little cross cut saw. It appears that it was a full sized saw that was broken off or cut down to fit in a tool box and maybe even had its own mitre box. Now on my list of to-does is to polish the little saw up and give it a spot in my working collection of hand saws.   It will fill the roll of a tenon saw very nicely. 


  I learned to  saw with European saws, and as much as I admire the Japanese pull saw, of which I have several,  I find myself reaching for European saws first now days.  In fact I am using hand saws more often now days than ever,  the raw, roaring power of the sliding mitre or table saw is just not necessary to comfortably get all my jobs done.  I can't ever imagine life without power saws, but...who knows what the future holds. 
Saw with the wooden handle isolated on white background Stock Photo - 9390302


   It is an extra kick when I get something like the $3.00 saw, that gives added value for my money or effort.  The possibility of finding something like that is what takes me into flea markets and places like the Re-Store.  






No comments:

Post a Comment