Monday, April 23, 2012


  Today is a full day in the work shop.  What am I doing? It seems like a dozen small jobs, probably it will be more than a dozen.  Right now it is lunch time and I'm eating and working on the blog while glue and finishes dry.  


   First thing I did was finish two window frames like the one in the photo.  The frame as you can see is just large enough to be a pain.  The short sides are 55 inches and the long side is 77 inches.  The 1 x 2 is long enough that the 45 degree angles were easier to cut with my hand saw that to fiddle around with the mitre saw, though I did use the Mitre saw to cut up the 1/4 inch plywood used for the corner plates.  This wasn't a tough job, just awkward, and as always, the second one was much easier to make than the first.
   
   After I finished gluing and screwing these frames I glued up two cutting board blanks.  I can glue four or five at a time depending on the size and design of the cutting boards but at this time I have a bit of a rush on for one of the boards and   only had material ready for one other board.  The boards sit for 24 hours before I pop them out of the clamps and begin planning, and sanding.  I use Titebond III for my boards, once that glue is set I am pretty sure the glue is stronger than the wood.  This set of cutting boards will be oak, roasted birch and maple, they look good and should last for years and years.
  
   While that is drying I stained three, three board book shelves, three different colours, of course.  That means three brushes and three sets of rags to wash, so it isn't really one task, it is three.  To top off the dry time I sprayed a couple of dino puzzles with my favourite spray lacquer.
  I really couldn't say whether this is the best spray lacquer on the market, what I do know is that it is the one with which I am most familiar.


   Just about done at the desk and it is now time to return to the basement workshop and paint the window frames white, it will take a couple of coats and see if the stains are dry enough (I use water based stain) for me to spray.


   Tomorrow I am off to a blacksmith workshop for a couple of days.  I think it will be very exciting.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment