Thursday, April 26, 2012

Blacksmith Classes Pt. One

I just got in from Hanover and boy are my arms tired, bah dump bump. The last two days have  been spent in the immediate vicinity of one of these.  



  And close to these:


Not all the hammers, just the ones that are used regularly.  Even I used four different ones during the two day.

And using some of these:

there are tongs for all occasions and applications, a black smith  generally makes his own.

  I spend two very interesting, educational and somewhat humbling days with Daniel at Forged Link Blacksmith's Forge in Hanover ON.  My arms are not tired because I flew home, they are tired because for several hours a day I was pounding hot steel with a big hammer while holding the piece in long steel tongs with the other. (while trying to sort out at least 6 things at once and not get burned).


  More details of the experience and the results of my efforts and Daniels skill and patience to come.


  Before I continue with my saga I think you should look at forgedlink.blogspot.com, and back at your collection of recent Lee Valley Catalogues.  Dan's knives where on a very recent supplementary catalogue cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment