Monday, January 30, 2012

Book in Clamps

wood working clamps can be used in many ways
  This little fire truck book has been read to Kieran dozens of times in the past year, and, he sometimes reads it to himself. (he version is an artistic interpretation of the printed text)  Unfortunately the wear and tear that a book experiences at the hands of a small boy can be fatal. 


  There has been a previous attempt at repair using tape, but the most recent repair called for serious tools.  The spine of the book is paper and so the pages, which are quite thick card stock were pulling away from the spine.  My solution, and we'll see how long it lasts, was carpenter's glue, serious clamping and a full 24 hours for the glue to set.  At this point the glue is solid, I don't know how solid the spine will be.  It is that old story, the glue is only as good as what it is gluing. 

  The clamps are two of my "go to" clamps.  The old speed clamp is great and has seen years of heavy action in my shop.  The aluminium bar clamp is light and easy to use, and it means I don't have to tie up my Bessey Clamps up on little jobs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment