Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Anarchist's Tool Chest

      

                                                                                 Last summer I bought a copy of Christopher Schwarz's book the Anarchist's Tool Chest.  Last August in fact, and I read it in three days.  Since that time I have been trying to write a clever and worthy review of this book, filled with pithy quotes and trenchant examples, clearly that is not going to happen.  So here is a not so clever but just as sincere a review of Mr. Schwarz's book.

   Christopher Schwarz is a very fine writer with a flowing conversational prose and an excellent sense of organization and style.  The information imparted is done so clearly and with objectivity.  There are many tips and ideas within the book and I have to think even the most experienced wood worker would benefit from Mr. Schwarz's insights.

   For me the real heart of the book was the author's dedication to superior quality work and what impressed me the most was his sympathy with the professional woodworking class.  I felt he placed the blame for poor quality work clearly at the feet the of consumer who demands cheap products and labour and thereby forcing production quality down.  I agree with Mr. Schwarz, wood workers would rather do fine work in real wood but they have to make a living and compete with products made from sheet stock and sold to people that don't know or care. So crafts people are unable to do their best work because they are limited by time and costs.


  If craftsmanship is to survive this down turn in consumer taste then the amateur and hobby woodworker is the one that is going to have to build for the love of the work and hope that in time their efforts will be understood and recognized.

  Having read "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" I have changed my approach in the work shop in some ways as well.  I do not use sheet stock to build any longer.  I use face frame construction to build things like book case and doors now.  It takes longer but result is much better, both more attractive and just as sturdy.
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment