Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Kauri Wood of New Zealand

Kauri wood of New Zealand:

History and facts from wikipedia.  I didn’t rewrite or edit the content because it confirms what I know and adds new details to my knowledge, so I believe the author to be more informed than I am.







The  Kauri bowl I brought back with me was bought in a craft show in Paihia on the  east coast of the north island.  The bowl is Kauri root and not really all that well executed, but it was also very inexpensive, so I got a very cool piece of wood from the far side of the world and  all it needed was a little bit of tung oil to make it shine.



I also have turning blank in trunk Kauri that my kids brought me when they came home.  The wood is famous but like maple it is the roots, burls or flaws that are most interesting.  The really good wood is straight, pure and fairly boring to see.  One day I guess I will turn a few pens from the Kauri wood but right now it is the bowl that excites my love of wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment