Sunday, January 22, 2012

Why Wood 2 -Honduran Mahogany

 My  wife Eva, just  returned  from  Roatan  Island  where she  spent a week’s  holiday.  Roatan belongs to Honduras it is very poor in fact Roatan Island depends on tourist money as its only source of income.







 One of  my souvenirs from Roatan was a bottle of run, from Nicaragua,(the Hondurans believe their neighbour’s rum to be superior to their own). I am not sharing it here, the internet is good but it doesn't do justice to 8 year old rum.  You'll just have to take my word for it, it is good.


   Also Eva brought me a turned bowl made from off cuts of mahogany.  Honduran mahogany is quite famous as a quality wood when imported to Canada and it is nice to see the off cuts and scraps of this wood getting used too.  The bowl is beautiful and shows all the different colours the wood can show including a knot.  The wood worker probably makes the bowls by the dozens and his skill level shows in the quality of design and execution.   My bowl is currently filled with peppermints and sitting on the corner of my desk.  I fully expect it to sit on my desk and then my grand-kid's desk and since it is wood it could easily end up on the Antique's Roadshow 125 years from now.


No comments:

Post a Comment