Monday, October 3, 2011

Shop Safety - boring but vital

  This time there are no photos to share.  From the title you might think that I am going to tell a tale of fingers in saws and other gory shop stories but that is not the case today.  Even though I do have a couple of stories like that from days gone by, who doesn't?
 
   For most of my adult life I have been the cautious guy in the crowd and so working safely has been part of my life's out look for years.  As a young man I worked for a company that expected heavy lifting as a matter of course, I looked around the place and saw many guys with experience and bad backs so I didn't stay there very long.

  One of my last jobs involved selling woodworking equipment and after a season or two of wrestling heavy iron around on showroom floors I moved onto other things.  Getting a hand crunched or my back wrecked did not seem like a good long term decision.

  So today I am battling the flu and a chest cold and probably seasonal allergies too and therefore filled with the sorts of medication that recommends that you do not operate heavy equipment after taking.   It is always exciting to have your personal thermostat so screwed up that half of you is sweating like a race horse and the other have of your body is shivering as if you were stranded on an ice floe in the arctic.

   What this means for me is that for the next couple of days I will be  hanging around the house doing not much and maybe spending sometime cleaning in the shop.  My hard and fast rule is no power tools when drugged or after having had anything to drink.

  I always thought that one beer didn't really matter but I found from experience that even one beer takes the edge off my reaction time. That was learned while fly fishing, if I had one beer at lunch I wasn't as fast at setting the hook and the fish that I would have caught had I had coffee instead of beer got away.  


    It always seemed that this sort of flu bug gets me when I have lots on my plate.  As interesting as the potential projects are none of them is worth a finger.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment