Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Scroll Saw Masterpiece by Norman Track

   My Uncle Norm had a gift for eye burning detail skills, he was an outstanding knitter, at one time he also did very good bead work, belts, hat bands and the like.

   All of these skills were learned from a book plus hours of trial and error. The last skill he mastered was wood working and most particularly scroll saw work.  When he passed away his sister was given the pieces that are on the back board in the photo.  There are many hours of work there, carefully scrolling "the Lord's Prayer" in all those different styles of font.  It seems an odd use of time for someone that was not really a church guy, but I guess it is like many craftsman's masterpieces, it is a display of technique, the actual piece doesn't matter much. 

   From my Uncle I inherited a large pile of Wood magazines, a couple of small tools and a stuffed binder of scroll saw patterns, including the Lord's Prayer pattern.  I will use many of the patterns over time but don't expect to get good enough or committed enough to do the Lord's Prayer.


  My task now is to frame the piece so that it can hang in my Mother's church.  I got the easier task.


 

2 comments:

  1. The Rockwell Bladerunner is an extraordinary and minimized saw that joins a portion of the qualities of a jigsaw, band saw, table saw and scroll saw. The responding cutting edge makes it simple to cut any material and enables you to make an assortment of cuts. I find this very good website for the best scroll saw 2018, If you want you can visit this site.

    ReplyDelete