Monday, October 10, 2011

Magic Wands

   Last week I was called by a friend to see if I had time to make their son a stand to display his collection of magic wands.  Not surprisingly I had never made a magic wand stand, in fact I had never seen that sort of magic wand either.  I went around to their house and picked up the wands, they are the wands of the three major characters for the Harry Potter stories.  The wands are kind of interesting to look at and very distinctive one from another, sadly they are made from injection molded poly resins rather than real wood.

  A long time ago I was a very serious student of music and went to university to study to become a conductor.  For some years afterwards I lead bands and choirs and often used a magic wand  too. 
Mollard batons, walnut handle with raw wood, purple heart handle with painted shaft.
 These magic wands made Mozart come out of trumpets and lead vocal duets from Messiah among many other things, classical and modern.  These batons are very personal, they lay like a feather in my palm and though they are not used any longer the feelings that come when holding them is still magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment