Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Shop Jig

   I recently saw a video on making a hand sanding jig that used sanding belts.  I have a belt sander as well as a variety of other sanders, and at first didn't think much about making a jig.
   As I was doing some shop clean up I came across my small collection of-



  broken sanding belts. I've used these belt for a variety of things over the years and still have six left. Should I throw them away...or make a jig to get use from the belts?


  Went back to the video, decided what suited my needs best and made my own version.


  I started with a piece of 2 x 4 and planed the faces smooth and ripped it to width.


  Since the belts are broken I didn't need to develop a method for tightening the belt on the wood block.  I just used thumb tacks on the least useful end of the block. Now I have a 150 grit sanding block with a wedge shaped end to get into small places.  I will use a crape block to clean the sanding belt  as I use it and so will get many, many uses from this simple, useful jig.

  Last week I saw a cool cat silhouette, it was cut from pine and had been very artfully painted. I borrowed the piece for a hour and made a pattern for my future use, I think I better paint this cat pattern red like my other jigs.


  At this time I don't plan to make a cat but having a pattern like this at hand enables me to make something in a hurry for a Grand Daughter to paint.  Over the years I have been collecting patterns for arts and crafts and this latest pattern makes me think it is time to gather the items together and see what I've got.  Fear not..the organizing bug has not beset me, I'm too old be begin organizing now.

cheers Ian




Image result for cat pictures

Who me! ?
 I'd never do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment