Saturday, March 9, 2019

Finished Scoop and Almost Finished Box.


  There is the scoop in the ice salt.  I finished the scoop with two coats of shellac and then laid a heavy coat of house paint on it.  Since it is in salt there is no fear that it will rot in the wet. 

  

  I wood burned and painted this plywood slab and finally got around to making it into a box. 


  The box is about three inches deep and will be used to hold various loose drawings, painting  and sketches. I began art lessons about six years ago and have collected a small pile of pictures that I want to keep for posterity. 


  I cut the lid off free hand, usually I cut lids off on the table saw.  I like the result and being able to have a face hinge.  Cutting the lid free hand made for some challenges, mostly in the clamping.  I used a thin blade Japanese style hand saw and next time I will go with a back saw with a much stiffer blade, the thin blade wanted to wander and so this cut isn't really good.
  What remains to be done is varnish and some sort of latch. 
  Since the box is cedar it should be a really good place to store paper for the long run.



in the garden beside our hotel, last week.

the view out our window today.
 should have stayed in Ponta Delgada.








No comments:

Post a Comment