Monday, March 18, 2019

Changes in the Family, make for small shop projects.

Drive Medical Four Wheel Rollator Walker with Fold Up Removable Back Support

  A few weeks ago my Mother took a nasty fall and has been recovering well but will need some help with her balance and walking for a while, so she has a wheelie walker/scooter thing as a travelling companion now.

  Of course it needed to be accessorized. We are tea drinkers and so I made a tea tray that sits on the seat allowing Mom to move about with a tea cup and small plate without worry about spilling things.

10 x 16 inch tea tray

   My plan was to have the tray as light as possible so it is made from a piece of door skin that I had laying around.  ( I'm going to have to buy another door skin soon.  It gets used for lots of light weight projects.) A tip with door skin, I don't cut it with a saw anymore, I score it with a straight edge and a utility knife, a few passes with the knife cuts through and leaves a usable edge.

  

  The handles are a pair that I bought at a yard sale a few years ago for cheap, cheap.  I think I got an entire kitchen's worth of handles/drawer pulls for a couple of dollars.

  To drill to fit the handles I made a jig this time. 


   Since I still have eight pairs of handles this jig will make lay out in the future quicker and accurate.  Why didn't I do that before?...I don't know.

 The white on the tray is three coats of spray acrylic and the handles are cedar with paste wax. 

 Two days from now my Mom moves to respite care for two weeks; that's a lot of tea drinking  and then.....home again, good as new. (or as close as possible).

 cheers, ianw 




No comments:

Post a Comment