Tuesday, March 5, 2019

A re-post and a prototype.

   Sometime ago I wrote a fairly wordy post, that only a mature individual would have the nerve to write.  A young man needs a few years and a couple of battle scars before he can seriously talk about the search for balance in his life, or workshop.

http://blogthetoolstore.blogspot.com/2011/04/wisdom-du-kannst-nicht-alle-hasen-jagen.html

  I think it is time for me to re-visit 2011 and check which rabbits I want to hunt now.  I am just as happy trying to draw and paint as make saw dust most days.  Secretly I think it is because it is quiet, cost effective, portable and the product of hours of work fits into a folder instead of me having to find a home for that I have made.

  The drawing process is not that different at the craft level from wood working.

                               Graphite


   I then draw the same subject  in pastels, then charcoal looking to see which appeals to me most. 




 Recently I have to trying to get comfortable with chalk pastel. 


  It is like deciding that you are going to learn a new finish in you shop.  It takes some practice before the lacquer finish is as good as your old standby.

  The wood shop prototype is a scoop.  It has been a particularly challenging  winter and the other day I needed to spread sand and salt on the driveway and front steps.  The plastic scoop that was in the bag let me down.  I love it when there is a good reason to make something.




 This scoop is make from scrap 2 x 4 but...I like the size.  I tried drilling out the void with a forstner bit and cleaning it up with chisel The general shape was cut on my band saw. I may try other ways of forming the scoop(s). Once the glue sets I will shape this scoop so that it is comfortable to use.  The size and shape suits me and I will pick some quality material and make a couple more.  Everybody I know needs a salt/sand scoop. 

  If I find a nice piece of wood I may make a nice scoop just for the heck of it.

cheers, ianw





No comments:

Post a Comment