Wednesday, February 3, 2016


 One year ago I made the case work for a stereo stand,

last week we made the doors.

 Finally, here is the finished project. Since the cabinet was to be painted the case work is 3/4 plywood while the doors are poplar and the inset panels door skin. 

  Having the proper place to put your stuff makes for a neater and more efficient work/living space. I have been trying to address that issue in our house lately.

  My wife makes quite lovely stained glass panels, and as with all crafts, she has acquired many little bits of useful material and a few special tools.

 4 boxes of glass bits and pieces.
All the glass  in a wheeled unit

  The storage unit is made from chip board that a neighbour gave away last summer. Ordinarily I would not use chip board for anything but sub-flooring but since it was free, I took it knowing I would find a use for it sometime. 
Image result for chip board
chip board.
It certainly is chips, but is it board?

 There is no real trick to making a unit like this if you have a table saw or a circular saw with a guide.  The only real trick is to have the three sides square, and it is easy with enough space and  tools.  Chip board doesn't have much strength when screwing into end grain so  I made for square frames from 1 1/2 by 1 inch spruce to which I attached the chip board by screwing though the side and into the wood frames.  Four casters are attached to the bottom frame so the unit can be moved around when we want to get to the books on the shelf behind.  The whole project is satisfactory and given that the sheet stock was free, very cost effective. 

  Since chip board is so ugly I even painted the rolling cabinet. I bought a litre of paint for $3.00. 

   How so cheap you ask?  The paint was an "oops" mixture from a big box store.  I always check to see if there are "oops" cans at those stores.  An "oops" for those of you that don't know is paint where the customer doesn't like the colour the base is tinted. Usually the can is full or very nearly and dead cheap. This time is was a greyish sort of colour, perfectly useful in a basement craft area.  Chip board is thirsty, I used 2/3 of the litre painting the rolling cabinet.  I also painted it to try to glue down the thousand loose feathery edges on chip board.

  This rolling glass storage cabinet is exactly why I like having a workshop. For a bit of invested time, and limited material cost Eva's craft space is 100% improved.  I really like making things that have a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment