The box is definitely a prototype, and so I decided not to spend a bunch of money on hardware. The handle is rope, wrapped in twine and it works pretty well. Instead of buying a piano hinge I used a couple of hinges from shop supplies, they are nearly the right size and type. What I did buy was the latch, and it was a disappointment, I never really trusted it to keep the case closed.
So, today I made new closures out of wood.
I then drilled and screwed the pieces on to the case work.
Each catch has a through hole drilled, into which a wooden pin slides holding both halves together like a hinge pin. In this version the latches are a bit over engineered so when I make another art box I will have learned my lesson. I also plan to take the medal latch off this case, since it doesn't inspire trust anyway.
For the next version I think I will not bother with oak, though strong,it is heavy and really stronger than this project needs. I will use a piano hinge and make the handle from leather instead of rope and most importantly, I'll make a smaller case.