Thursday, April 23, 2015

Earth Day Project

  The other day I was looking around our wood shop at the Ancaster Senior Achievement Centre and found an older book of projects.

  The book was published in 1983 but it still had some fun ideas and the one that caught my eye was:


   We collect newspaper and recycle it at our church as a fund raising programme so there is always a pile of papers collecting in our laundry room.  Mostly a disorganized pile of papers.  It is just a cool coincidence that the plan surfaced in time for Earth Day.




            

   
 To fit with the Earth Day theme I made my Stack and Bundle Box from left over materials.  I dug around in my shop and found a collection of small pieces of plywood to make a version of this project. Since the wood was left overs I made  a stylistic decision to stagger the sides since I  didn't want to cut things to the short side length.


   I decided that I didn't want my box to be as tall as in the plan, we don't want that much paper laying around.

   Since this is all square corners it is a natural as a circular saw project. I cut the pieces with my circular saw and a straight edge. I have used my 48-inch Empire Bubble Stick ruler for years. I realize that it is not high precision but it is rugged, forgiving and has helped me break down 100's of pieces of sheet stock over the years.

  I think that woodworkers are Earth Day people everyday.

cheers, ianw




No comments:

Post a Comment