Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Why Sweep - an expert's reasons

    My wood shop is in the basement of our house, not the best arrangement in the world, but the one with which we live.  When I am in good form I spent 2 or 3 full days each week in the shop and so make a tonne of shavings, chips and saw dust.  With dust collection and some care most of the mess stays down stairs, not all but most.  Dust collection systems though flawed are vital to my shop and I suspect all modern shops.  

   I have a mid sized dust collection system connected to my table saw, planer and jointer.  I bought it four or five years ago and it has collected many many bags of saw dust for me.

General International 10-005 M1 Dust Collector 1HP

   I also have two big shop vaccum cleaners that are used in other situations.  My Fein vac is attached to my orbital sanders, and by monster "shop-vac" is collected to the router table.  The shop vac is noisy and to keep the cost of bags down I bought a Oneida Dust Duputy, but it is still an important tool in the battle for breathable air.


    Another important tool is the lowly, low tech, broom.  I bow to a more expert and eloquent writer, as he discusses:


mikeSwithbroom

     I especially agree that sometimes a good sweep is good for the soul, it helps clear the head as well as the shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment