Wednesday, February 15, 2012

3X3X3 puzzle

  I like to make puzzles, I don't like to solve them.  Happily my wife and daughter like solving puzzles so we have a symbiotic relationship going.
one


 There are several versions of this sort of puzzle.  In the past I have made the versions with many solutions.  It did not prove a significant challenge to the ladies and so I have made this version.  This is the Half Hour Puzzle, so named because it reputedly takes a serious puzzler that long to solve.  I guess the ladies aren't serious enough puzzles, 'cause they have yet to solve it. (hee hee)
two


I can't take credit for creating this puzzle, I used Crafting Wood Logic Puzzles by Charlie Self to provide me with the pattern.  The book is a good, well written book, complete with many helpful photographs and the solutions to all the puzzles. Over the last year I have made about half of the puzzles in the book.


three


There is a puzzle similar to this one that has many possible solutions, I have made those in the past, but this time, One Solution Only.
four
To make this puzzle I used one inch blocks that I had purchased from Workshop Supply
five
If you were planning to make several puzzles as I did in the past I used my cross cut sled and table saw to cut the pieces from solid stock.  Not gluing the pieces together makes for a cleaner better looking final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment