Sunday, February 5, 2012

What do you do while you are waiting for the glue to dry?

   In an episode of "The Simpsons", Moe's bar is converted into a family restaurant and Moe buys an army surplus deep fryer. Moe tells Homer the fryer can deep fry an ox in 17 seconds.                      
   Homer whines "But I want it now!".


   There is some of Homer in me.  I hate to wait, I hate to wait in line and I hate to wait for stuff to be ready for the next step in the process.  I have spoiled more than a few projects by not waiting for the glue to dry, or the stain to fully set.  This morning I made a small box for you reading glasses, mostly to protect them and to make them easier to find.  The box is glued together and being held by clamps so the glue can set.  I hate waiting for the glue to dry.  To keep from ruining more projects I have developed a solution, I find a distraction and try to have it a fun little job to do while the glue dries. ( instead of the never ending cleaning that is required by a wood shop)
  So this is what I did this morning while the glue was drying.  I copied the shape from a spatula that Eva uses in the kitchen and cut it out on the band saw.


  I have done this before but this time I got ambitious and boiled the living daylights out of the flat blank and was able to put a useful little bend in the handle to help keep my knuckles out of the way while flipping my eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment