Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Other Router

 
   If you were to type router into an Internet search engine this is the sort of thing that comes up.  I realize that the wood working router is a fairly new tool but it is sad that a black plastic box filled with magic,  designed to fail in a few short years should have usurped a real tool.

 About two weeks ago our computer router stopped working, all the lights still worked all the tests said it was fine, it just didn't deliver digital goblins from the ether to our computers any longer.  We fiddled around for a week using a wire, which would only talk to my wife's computer but not to mine and then last Saturday I went out and spend $100.00 on a small plastic box.  The box will last a very few years before it has to be replaced, probably it will e workng just fine but the digital goblins will be a new flavour and so no longer want to talk to it, though it still works.(technically).

 The real routers of which I have several work for ever, it seems.  I have the first one that I acquired 25 years ago, it still works fine.  In the workshop is my wife's router, at least as old as mine, it still works fine. I also have a trim router, works fine and two Triton routers, all work fine.  My JessEm router table has a Milwaukee router motor mounted on it, it works great.

   All the routers use the same bits, regardless of age.  I note that my HSS bits now just collect dust, though I do turn to them when I am doing something with reclaimed wood.  I am prepared to sacrifice a cheap old HSS router bit to grit and stone or nails.  Interestingly  when I am that careful I nearly never hit anything nasty. (sort of like carrying an umbrella to keep away the rain).

    The newer routers come with more power, (not often necessary), will use larger bits, (kind of nice sometimes) and have variable speed adjustments that I understand do quit working some times. ( a small cheap piece that can be replaced easily)  The old routers have brushes in the motors, again easily replaced but seldom worn out, at least by me.

  I confess to not being a big router guy, I had used the routers on and off for a long time but usually for small things.

  I’m talking about computer routers since though I have been busy in my shop nothing of the work is of interest to anyone but family.  
 
What have I been doing:
   
   The downstairs baby gate, important for the safety and peace of mind of us all.
I repaired two trucks for Kieran, important for Opa’s reputation and our peace of mind.  I don’t want to disappoint a two year old, he has enough of that to look forward to as a man. 
 I also cut up and sanded a 6 quart basket of wood scraps that were turned into garages and houses by the little boy.  
I have been making little pate spreader knives for a customer and sanding down cutting boards for other customers. 
Then there is the boring stuff, patching dry wall and sweeping and cleaning, lots of shop time, not much romance.

    This week my wife is away visiting her son and daughter-in-law and instead of days of shop time I have been running family errands, doing volunteer work and tackling the dreaded garage monster. (it is time to clear the garage to the point that the car can get in at night, we hate scraping frost off the wind screen in the morning)

   It is my hope that next week will have some creative and interesting shop time to share


No comments:

Post a Comment